The #StruggleIsReal with getting some baking ingredients this lockdown period. One of the items I’ve had a hard time finding the most is unsalted butter. So, if you are like me who have struggled with that during this lockdown period… here’s a chocolate cake recipe that don’t need it!
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup caster (or white) sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups plain (or all-purpose) flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven at 180°.
2. Whisk the eggs and the sugars with a hand-mixer until pale and bubbly. Add the vanilla.
3. Sift the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, cocoa powder) in a separate bowl. Fold into the wet mixture.
4. Fold the remaining ingredients (olive oil, milk, rosemary, salt) into the batter.
5. Pour the batter into the tin/mold. Cook for 30-40 mins.
6. Garnish with rosemary sprigs or sift powdered sugar on top.
This cake is on the denser side. But if you want it fluffier, you can try whisking the egg whites to soft peaks first before folding it into the mixture at the very end. (So just yolk and sugar at the beginning!) This can compensate for the lack of butter by incorporating more air for a better rise.